The body of my fair isle yoke sweater is finished, and it is perfect! I decided it block it before knitting button bands, collar, and sleeves, because I wanted to be sure I didn't need to make some modifications to the sizing -- it was starting to look suspiciously boxy and I had visions of "steeking" the two fronts or of picking up my button bands 4 or 5 stitches in from the edges -- but this was perhaps the first time in my knitting career that blocking worked like magic to fix all those flaws I was nervous about! I wet-blocked it and pulled it quite tight in the vertical direction, fixing length issues while pulling in the width, and it actually worked! It's hard to see the individual stitches, but blocking also puffed them up so that it's a little less obvious that this is the last of the pieces I began knitting (and therefore continued knitting) with inadvertently twisted purl rows.
Blocking, you rock my world.
Now on to the rest of the sweater! Seeing this beautiful result has definitely lit a fire under me to get the arms done -- but I think I'll make the button bands first -- might as well make the torso fit exactly right before I bother customizing the arm lengths!
Monday, March 10, 2008